Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A New Style

People that know me, know that I am a T-Shirt, jeans, sneakers kind of girl. I always have and I always will be. I won't lie, I like to dress up from time to time. When it comes down to it, I can always trust in my staple outfit. I am a rising sophomore at one of the most fashionable colleges (Howard University) and being at school has made me realize that my sense of style may have to alter. I'm not saying that I'm giving up my t-shirts, jeans and kicks, it just means that I can lay off of wearing them so constantly as I do. This summer has given me inspiration to change up my style a bit. Seeing other girls walking around looking glamorous and oh so stylish, I might add, has sparked something inside me, a little voice that said, "You got the same swagg as them girl, you just gotta take a chance!" With that said, this summer, I'm going to be a bit more "girly". I'm going to be buying more tops, shorts, skirts, dresses and yes, the ultimate, shoes and bags. Hopefully, the deep love for my staple articles of clothing don't get in the way of my style 180 (360 is completly, 180 is half way).

Another thing, I have taken in a new appreciation and interest in high fashion. Not just the "hood" staples such as the Prada America's Cup Sneaker

a pair of Gucci sneakers that everyone has, some common pair of True Religion jeans or a brown monogram Louis Vuitton handbag. I'm interested in so much more. My mom says that I have expensive taste and when I agree; I definitely deserve the finer things in life. "Nothing but the best for my boo", as Kevin likes to say. It's cool to have these nice things, but just step outside the box, find something else that no one knows about. And hey, who knows? People might catch on to what you've just "discovered". Something else I've noticed about people when it comes to labels: you don't have to wear something that has the name of the label plastered all over it. If people are really about their fashion, they will know what label it came from, as well as the season it came out.


One pair of shoes I will have in my possesion before I go back to Howard [Sidebar: I attend Howard University in Washington D.C., a very well known HBCU] A pair of Reva Ballerina flats from Tory Burch. I know, they came out like last year and there are soooooo many knockoffs and "remakes". They are just so adorable and they also look quite comfy!

No comments: