Sunday, October 10, 2010

Can't Get What You Want

My family (and I) aren't close. I'm the closest to my mom and my siblings and that's about it. And in reality, that's all I need.

I'm staying with my grandmother while I'm here in NY and I have never met anyone so miserable in my life. I honestly feel that it makes her feel good to make people around her miserable. She's "nice" when she wants to be, but other times, she's always yelling, distant and judgemental. My mom and grandma don't have much of a relationship and I can understand why. I try to be nonexistant when she's around because I know she's going to do or say something to irritate me to the highest degree.

Sometimes, I wish I had a TV grandma, or at least the closest thing to one; she bakes cookies, she's the sweetest ol thing, she tells you old stories about "back in her day," she shows you a photo album of your mom and aunts and uncles, she hugs you all the time and you feel her warmth, her wisdom, her wordly knowledge, transferring to you.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

No comments: